Fun fact of the day: getting into shape/eating healthier is the number 1 New Years resolution people make.
I’m personally not shocked by that, I know it’s been on my list ever since I started caring about how big my butt was. Unfortunately, it’s also one of the resolutions that’s the easiest to give up on.
Some people may say they can’t afford the gym membership anymore, so they cancel it. Or, my favorite (not my favorite) is when people say they don’t have time to work out.
When I hear someone say that I’m like, I know you were just sitting on the couch for the last 10 minutes watching the Real Housewives. Instead of sitting your ass on the couch, you could multi-task and work out while watching Real Housewives.
There are plenty of people out there with busier schedules than you and they still manage to get some time in to work-out. They have the same amount of hours in the day as you, but they just manage it better.
But don’t worry folks, I’m here to give you some workout ideas that are 1. free (or cost very little) and 2. are time customizable. So you will no longer be that person giving out those lame excuses.
Put your spandex on and let’s get goin’!
If I know I have a lot to get done in my day or I’ve had a long day and don’t feel like working out for 45 minutes I’ll do this quick 10 minute workout from Women’s Best:
Complete 3 sets with 12 reps per set
- Warm up: 1 minute High Knees
- Push ups
- Sumo squats
- Bicycle crunches
- Side Plank
- Finish: 1 minute High Knees
When I have more time to do a full workout and I’m feeling good, I’ll do the moves above first, and then I move on to some cardio. Here are some cardio workout ideas to do at home, Fo Free:
- Go for a run I LOVE going for runs in our neighborhood. There’s a house I pass with cows and whenever I run by and they’re near the road I always try to say hi. They’re normally scared of me and run away but one time, one of the babies actually came up to the fence and let me pet him. It was the cutest.
- Go for a run in your yard It sounds weird, but I do it all the time. If I’m not feeling like running through the neighborhood I’ll run circles around the house. We have 5 acres and live on a mountain so there are plenty of hills for me to run up and down.
- Use the Stairs If you have stairs inside or outside you have a free stair stepper my friends. Our home is one level but we have a big staircase outside to our deck so I’ll put my headphones on and run up and down that bad boy for a couple songs.
- Jumping Jacks You can do 3 sets of 50 jumping jacks or set a timer and continue to do them until your time is up. I normally set the timer on my phone for 1 or 2 minutes and repeat 3 times.
- Skater Hops These really work your outer thighs, and they’re fun. If you’re not sure how to do this move, click here.
- Burpees This move is intense, I normally start sweating within the first 20 seconds. Burpees are an all over workout really; you squat, you do a push and then you jump. If you’re not sure how to do a burpee, see below. In Skinny Mom’s step by step tutorial she also mentions some ways to modify this move for beginners at the end of the post.
Here are some at-home cardio workouts that aren’t completely free, but you only buy them once and then you’re good to go:
- At-home workout videos I love these. You don’t have to worry about creating a workout routine, you just move the coffee table out of the way, put the dvd in and get going. And, there are a ton of options out there as far as the type of workout. I did Billy Blanks (or Banks, I can’t remember) taebo back in the day and I’m still rocking a Firm video from the early 2000’s. Obviously there are a ton of other options that were filmed in the last decade that you can check out.
- Jump Rope Boxers do it, so it’s gotta be good right? Jumping rope is an awesome cardio workout and it takes me back to the good ole playground days. There are a ton of jump rope routines out there, if you’re just starting out this one is geared towards beginners:
And this routine from Fitness Republic is more intense, perfect if you’re past the beginner jump rope stage.
- Ride a Bike I have not ridden a bike in a hot minute, but this is another great cardio option.
Also, one important thing to do after every workout is stretch. It’ll help your muscles recover and it’ll keep you lookin’ like a lean mean fighting machine.
I hope this helps y’all get a good start to your New Year fitness goals. I am always looking for new workouts to do at home, so please comment and let me know what some of your favorites are!
Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only. I am not a professional trainer/health professional, this is just what works for me. Please seek advice from your physician or other qualified health provider before beginning a fitness routine.
ga('create', 'UA-87679789-1', 'auto');